Friday, March 04, 2011

Music

I've been really into music lately, so I decided to write a tribute to it.

Right now, the piano is the musically related subject that matters the most to me. Some days, it can be really tough to practice; there are times I hardly touch it. But when I do, it is very rewarding. Today I decided to practice for one hour, and I did. It doesn't feel like I made a lot of progress in that time, but I'm sure I made more that I actually notice. At the moment I am playing Rondo Alla Turca (a well-known classical piece), arranging "Fearless" by Taylor Swift, and learning a lovely piece my teacher composed titled "May." I am also gaining experience with transposing (I learned a hymn in E flat, and now I have to transpose it to E - it's hard!!!), getting faster at scales, drilling the notes with flash cards, and learning lots of little secrets that make playing piano incredibly satisfying.

The piano is not the only instrument I play, though it's my best. I am also having a great time playing the viola in my school orchestra. I'm not exactly an incredible violist, but I have fun with it. For a while, I was learning a piano/viola duet with my mom that we were thinking of playing in church, but that will probably wait. We both have some advancing to do in the meantime.

Aside from actually playing instruments, I also listen to music played on them. Namely, classical. I have grown very fond of all sorts of classical music, and the main radio station I listen to nowadays is Classical 89.1. I love how peaceful it can be, but it can also be very powerful. I love that it never swears and isn't at all inappropriate, no matter how you look at it. It is so unique compared to all the popular music of today, which I sometimes enjoy, but not always. That's why I turn to classical music - I never get tired of hearing it.

Finally, the last aspect of music I enjoy is singing. Right now I sing in my church choir, which is very rewarding. I look forward to being part of it each Sunday. Besides that, I've written some songs and have performed vocally quite a few times throughout my life. I have also been in the Salt Lake Children's Choir, which was a fantastic experience but one that took a lot of time and commitment. I took voice lessons years ago when I was almost too young to remember, but since then I have just enjoyed singing whenever I decide to do so.

So, that is basically all the music I'm really into; for the most part, it's classical. But don't get me wrong - I still love many of the more popular songs on the radio. I love participating in dances, where it is a lot of fun to get into the music with all my friends. However, I'm not one that loves listening to that kind of stuff all the time. I always return to the more peaceful, instrumental side of music.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yYikshdLcw&feature=related

If you learn the piano accompaniment to this... well... yeah.

Bonnie said...

That is a really beautiful piece. :) I didn't really hear the piano accompaniment, I was just listening to the violin. It was lovely. ^.^

Blue said...

If I don't have the sweetest daughter in the entire universe, I don't know who does. ♥ you, Dolly!

Eliza said...

I love music to! I would suggest you use Pandora. You get to type in the type of music you like or artists, and it comes out with songs like that. I am actually listening to Pandora right now!

:)
Eliza

Bonnie said...

I love Pandora! It's fantastic! I really enjoy my Johann Sebastian Bach station, as well as my John Williams station (tons of movie soundtracks and scores). There are other stations that I used to be into, but those are the main ones I listen to nowadays.