Sunday, November 16, 2008

12th Birthday

I had a brilliant 12th Birthday! It was busy, but awesome! I had my birthday dinner the night before, and OH. MY. GOSH. IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. My mom had cooked the most delicious salmon there ever was in all the volume of the universe. She also made couscous, which is a delectable dish I first tried at the Living Traditions Festival. I think it's especially good with cooked spinach (HEAVENLY), but it was still good. She also made THE CAKE. She has made good cakes before, but nothing compared to this. Usually she'll go for prettiness rather than taste. But I will never care about prettiness again. Well, that's not true, I still LOVE pretty cakes, but this cake - oh boy. It was lemon, soaked in the juice all day. Oh. I'm sorry, I just wish I had a never-ending supply of it. Mmm...

Okay, enough about the food. I hope you aren't too hungry.

Then came the gifts. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Mommy and Daddy! And Brandon! And everyone else! Here is what they gave me, I love it all!!! (I won't say names besides my mom, dad, and brother, for privacy) :) I'm so spoiled...

  • My parents gave me an adorable tiny pink MP3 player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's wonderful quality, and so perfect!!!
  • Daddy gave me a little pocket guide about space that I intend to read sometime - I have a few other books ahead of me. I've looked through it a bit already, it's really neat!!!
  • Brandon gave me one of the things I really wanted that I forgot to put on my wish list (Duh, what was I thinking?!) - a "Girl with Cats" Playmobil set!!! It's so cute, a little girl with 4 cats, 2 mice, 1 fish, a food/water bowl, and a little hill where the mice live!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • He also gave me another Playmobil set, a little girl with a unicorn! I named the girl Bella, which Brandon came up with. Oh, and the girl with the "Girl with Cats" set I named Sandy. I just fits her.
  • My parents gave me a wooden birdhouse that I can paint and do whatever I want to with! I might hang it outside, but probably in my fairy tree.
  • My mom gave me one of the things on my list - a bookmark timer!!! And it's green! She looked for blue, but there wasn't any. I don't care though, I like green too...I've used it a ton already!!!
  • A fairy statue, a beautiful necklace I've worn several times (it's a heart and a treblecleff, which is perfect because I sing, play the piano and the viola!) and money...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
  • A super-cozy sweater, a nice white t-shirt, a bracelet and a matching pair of earrings!
  • A fun easy-bake set
  • 4 pairs of very cute shirts
  • An awesome squishy ball, 2 secret agency spy books, a pair of snake eggs, an adorable, fashionable mini stapler, and a sweet little pencil pouch with a fun design on it
  • Fun nail set to really glitter your finger nails up, 8 mechanical pencils, and a fun notebook with a "B" on it - so perfect (I collect notebooks)
  • An absolutely adorable sparkly"Super Girl" shirt and yummy-smelling lip gloss
  • A cozy hat, handmade on a loom
  • A pair of cozy "Lambie" slippers, a little lamb ornament, a little coloring page packet, a pack of 3 delicious smelling lotions
I hope I didn't miss any...

It's kind of funny, my birthday is on Veteran's Day so I never have and never will get mail on my actual birthday!

Anyway, I woke up feeling like a proud (in the good way) Young Woman, excited for the day. I went to school, and all went well. Then I went to my last Activity Days, which was so fun because the newest Young Woman besides me, Charlotte, was there because my leader let her come. Oh, I forgot, another present was the cake and beautiful CTR heart necklace that my leader gave me. Thank you so much!!! :)

After Activity Days, I had about an hour before I had to leave to get together with the rest of the Young Women and Men to go do Baptisms for the Dead. Charlotte and I were so excited - for I was just barely old enough to go. It was so fun to be able to share this fun experience with her.

So we drove up, talking and laughing with the others, shivering from cold and excitement when we got out. We went through this "secret" door on the side that I didn't know led into the temple. We walked in nervously, wondering what the inside of the temple would be like. We got our answer quickly - white. Everything was white, even the hymn books. I knew that white was a sign of purity, but I hadn't thought that THIS much white was needed. But it was beautiful.
First, we went to a counter where they take a good look at you and then estimate what size jumper suit you'll need. One of the girls showed us the bathrooms, which were round. They curved around one of the spires on the temple, so you couldn't see the last stall. And the ceilings were REALLY low. I thought they were so cool. Then we went to the locker rooms, which had high ceilings and short stalls that made me feel uncomfortable. We had to change into the suits and put our stuff in the locker. Next, we sat in one white room and listened to a short story that I have heard before, but it was special because normally it would be a stranger making a speech before doing the conformations and the baptisms, but this time it was a nice couple from our ward, which I thought was nice. Then we waited to do our conformations for the dead, where we do four or five people in a row, without getting up to shake their hand or anything. Then we waited to do the baptisms, sitting on benches till it was our turn to go up into the warm tub. There was a little screen on the side of the desk behind the glass, so the person baptizing could read the name of who they were to say. I was slow to remember that I had to have my hand on the guy's arm to do it, so at one point he had to tell me to "put my hand on my arm." I was scared out of my wits and worried when I was done what to do - no one had told me. But when I got into the shower room, I saw one of the other girls wrapped in a towel walking towards the locker room. So I got the idea; shower, put your suit in a box, wrap yourself in a towel, and go to your locker to change. I was the last one to do it though, and while every girl was having fun drying each other's hair in cute styles, I was frantically trying to just get mine dry so I wouldn't freeze when we went outside. I got to the point where it wasn't soaking, but we had to leave so I couldn't finish. It was freezing when I got outside, but my mom (who had come with) let me have her scarf (which is like a blanket when spread out) and that helped. We drove to Shivers, and everyone got to choose an ice cream or shake. I got an Egg Nog shake, which I shared with my mom. Then, because my mom had driven there in her own car, we drove home, just the two of us.


I had a fun, exciting, nerve-racking 12th Birthday!!! ;)

No comments: