Friday, May 25, 2007

Cheep!

We have a California quail family living in the back garden of our yard. I don't know when they came, but it must have been recent. If I got every one, and they were all there, I think there is exactly 15 chicks. They are adorable, with brown down and little black stripes on their backs. I was looking at them through binoculars.
Then, at one point they went out to get food or something, and one chick fell off the ledge. It landed in a bush, but it still couldn't get back up. The ledge is about a foot high, and the Mom and Dad couldn't get it. It went on for like 15 minutes, the chick running back and forth below the ledge. Finally, we did something about it. My mom went out with a box and got the chick to get in it. For just a moment, Brandon and I got to see it, scrabbling around in the box, and then we let it go in the bushes. I am glad we did that, I just wish we took a picture. I hope that the chicks grow safely, and learn to fly. I sure wouldn't want to fall off a big ledge when I was that tiny! (Though I did fall off my mom and dad's bed when I was a baby!)