Saturday, June 09, 2007

Mill Hollow

On Wednesday morning at 7:30 I drove to school, put my luggage on the bus, hugged my mom good-bye, and drove on the bus to Mill Hollow. It was a long ride, but it was worth it. I had a great time at Mill Hollow.

When we got there, everyone unpacked, which took quite a while, and then we had to go over the rules. That was boring, and anyone would know they shouldn't do this, or shouldn't do that. But finally we finished that and then got a tour of the camp. That was kind of boring too, but it was useful and worth it. If we didn't do that, I wouldn't know where to go and would sit somewhere freezing to death. It was snowing almost the whole day.
We had plenty of free time, but the cabins were locked. Only Giget, our counseler, and sometimes Mrs. Buck had the key.

So, we went to lunch, had free-time, went on a long, hard hike, did some stuff I can't remember because it was a week ago, had dinner, and finally, the most fun part of the first day, sang campfire songs in the cafeteria. We also did skits, the girls group first and after a few songs, the boys. We sang "We're goin' on a Bear Hunt", my favorite, and "Oh What a World it Would Be" another one I really love. At one point, the boy counselers, Pocco (yeah, man) and one other one did a skit about how they are the famous "Zuchini Brothers." And the this small (and invisible) friend, Mario. Mario could do any kind of trick, and so Pocco and the other guy called on people to tell Mario to do certain things. When they had a whole big thing for Mario to do, like a triple backflip in the air followed by an ariel or whatever, the got a pretend blanket out from their shirts and bounced Mario into the sky (or the ceiling) and looked. We all watched in awe as he did the tricks and went higher and higher and then....
"Mario? Oh, Mario!" and blah, blah, blah. End of part one. Part two came after more songs, and the funny part was when Pocco (sweet dude!) was like, "Ow, that was the worst spanking I ever received!" And so on. More songs. Finally, Mario came down on part three. It was awesome!
________________________________________________________
Day two was warmer, and I went to the trading post and bought a bear claw necklace and a camera. The bear claw necklace is totally cheap; it is absolutely worthless. It doesn't have all the parts, it's missing a bear claw. It also has instructions on how to make it, and if you tie it from one end to the other it wouldn't even go halfway around a baby's neck. It has extra beads, but still it is totally cheap. I don't know about the camera, as I haven't tried it out yet. I sure hope it works, the camera I took with me was sooooooooo cheap. There wasn't one really good photo out of all of them. I even had taken some really good ones, like a few where a chipmunk was a yard away from me, and posed in the perfect position. I was really upset.
Over all, day two wasn't very exciting, but day three was.

After we had packed everything up, and were having our last free-time, the principle, or whatever we are supposed to call the top dude, called and told everyone to find shelter. As I was running into the Spruce Room, the room where lots of people hang out during free-time, I asked what was going on. A girl (who claimed that she was first to see it) told me that there was a bear right by camp. I ran out onto the deck, where a lot of people were looking for it. The top guy, Bob, I think, had gone out in a truck to scare it away from camp. Imagine my amazement when, in one second, I got my only chance to see the bear. I still can't believe I saw it running into the woods! I was a sight I will never forget. Everyone lingered around a while longer, trying to see it, when the time came we had to get our things and leave. When everyone going to my school got on the bus, the moment we had all (or almost all anyway) been waiting for came. The counselers told us their real names! Giget, the girls' cabin counselers name is Elisa. I like that name. And Jamba, a girl that always helped in the cafeteria, told us her name is Julie. Pocco (boo-yah!) said his name is Brandon. That's my brothers name! And, he was born in August, just like my brother. So it was really fun. I sure hope I can come back again next year!

No comments: